Thursday, June 24, 2010

Holding My Breath

I feel like I have been holding my breath for months, after today's Dr. appointment I can finally breath.

If you remember a few posts ago I had an MRI which was normal, but then the Dr. ordered some more blood tests. One of them came back with abnormal results, as the Dr. put it, "it could be quite serious" and then referred me to a Hematologist.

The next Dr. I went to was Dr Te, he is a Hematologist/Oncologist. He is my Mom's Dr, and she came with me to most of the appointments. He ordered a bunch more tests, lots of blood tests, a 24 hour urine test, a CT scan and a complete skeletal survey. Those were all lots of fun. The following week we went back for those results and most of them were normal, except a couple of small spots on the CT. So the following week I got to have a bone marrow biopsy, which is suppose to be very painful, luckily they put me mostly under for it - I wasn't totally out of it, but enough that I don't remember the procedure.

Then I had to wait two weeks, and today was the day I got to go hear the results and they were good! There are no cancer cells, yea!

So here is what I have - Monoclonal Gammopathy of Unknown Significance - great name isn't it? Some of my plasma cells are not behaving correctly - they are making a protein they shouldn't, but if the numbers are low and stay low it isn't a problem. Basically it is a benign condition that they will just monitor because a small percentage can progress into cancer. So other than a blood test every six months or so no treatment is required.

5 comments:

julie said...

Whew! What a relief! I'm glad the results were so happy!

Mellissa said...

Okay, so I'm a terrible friend. I had no idea you were going through all of this. I'm so glad your results came back normal. I'm sure those weeks of waiting were painfully slow. I'll not be such a slacker of a friend. :)

Melissa said...

I too didn't know that you were going through this, I am sorry! I am glad that everything came back normal and that it is nothing serious.

Lori Clark said...

I'm sorry I hadn't told you guys anything, but I didn't know what to tell you if I called - that I was having a bunch of tests? Especially as I didn't feel sick or have any symptoms. I tried not to tell too many people, mainly the only people I told were family, a few people that watched the girls and my Visiting Teachers - who actually found out from one of the people that watched the girls.

Kimberli said...

How scary! I am so sorry you had to go through all those tests and worry, but I'm glad you are okay! Except I think it would be pretty tricky to remember that really long name of the diagnosis. :) Love ya!