Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fire in the Bones

I’ve finally finished Fire in the Bones, it was a good book and I learned a lot, but it was not “a real page turner”. I made myself finish it before I could start anything else. Below I’ve included a few quotes from the book that I liked.

Tyndale translates the words Urim and Thummim as “light and perfectness” in margins he explains “light and perfectness: In Hebrew it is lights and perfectnesses: and I think that the one were stones that did glister and had light in them and the other clear stones as crystal.”

When translating the Old Testament, Tyndale details the life of Jacob, here is his comment. “ Mark also the weak infirmities of the man. He loveth one wife more than another, one son more than another. And see how God purgeth him. Esau threateneth him: Laban beguileth him. The beloved wife is long barren: his daughter is ravished: his wife is defiled, and tho of his own son. Rachel dieth, Joseph is taken away, yea and as he supposed rent of wild beasts. And yet how glorious was his end? Note the weakness of his children, yea and the sin of them, and how God through their own wickedness saved them. These examples teach us that a man is not at once perfect the first day he beginneth to live well. They that be strong therefore must suffer with the weak.”

“We be all equally created and formed of one God our Father, and indifferently bought and redeemed with one blood of our Saviour Jesus Christ. Which two points, I say, if they be written in thine heart, are the keys which so open all the scripture unto thee, that no creature can lock thee out, and with which thou shalt go in and out, and find pasture and food everywhere. And if these lessons be not written in thine heart, then is all the scripture shut up as a kernel in the shell, so that thou mayest read it, and commune of it, and rehearse all the stories of it, and dispute wittily, and be a profound sophistry, and yet understand not one jot thereof.”

“ The nature of God’s word is, that whosoever read it, or hear it reasoned and disputed before him, it will begin immediately to make him every day better and better, till he be grown into a perfect man.”

“As pertaining to good deeds therefore, do the best thou casnt, and desire God to give strength to do better daily; but in Christ put thy trust, and in the pardon and promises that God hath made thee for his sake; and on that rock build thine house, and there dwell. For there only shalt thou be sure from all storms and tempests, and from all wily assaults.”

No comments: