Monday, May 4, 2009

When It Rains

Last week was a crazy week .

On Sunday April 26th my Dad called and told me his sister, my Aunt Margaret had passed away. She was 70 years old, and had cancer. Back in March she decided not to fight it anymore. The funeral was on Friday in California, I went with my Mom, Dad and sister Jamie - we left on Thursday.

We planned on leaving on Thursday at 3:00, Steph was going to watch the kids for a few minutes until Ryan got off work. Friday Ryan's Mom, Margaret, was going to take the kids all day. So all week long I was rushing to get everything done, all my work, laundry, shopping, etc. I was doing well until Wednesday afternoon.

Ryan had just left for work a few minutes earlier when the phone rang, and it was Ryan. As soon as I saw the number I knew something was wrong, he NEVER calls from work. He told he had been in an accident, but was alright. He said the police were there right then and he would call me back if I needed to come pick him up. About half an hour later he called me again, this time to come get him and I got the rest of the story.

The was heading back to work, and for those of you that have been to my house or know the area, he was turning the corner by the SUU observatory. The corner is very sharp, and off one end is a dirt road that leads up the hill to the observatory. As he came around the corner a truck was doing the same thing, or so Ryan thought, instead of turning the truck was heading up the hill and cut him off, so the could either hit the truck or lay the bike down, of course he did the later. He laid the bike down and then skidded and rolled for 30-40 feet before he came to a stop. About 30 seconds behind the truck happened to be a Sheriff, convienent.

He was lucky, no broken bones, no head injury, he has a lot of road rash, and we think a cracked rib. His right hand is the worst, all the skin on the palm of his hand and on the tips of his three middle fingers is gone. His left arm is pretty beat up, his right arm is not so bad, both knees have a bad patch on them, and then there are a few more scrapes and bruises on the rest of him.

The Sheriff called the paramedics, Ryan said he looked really freaked when he got up and started walking. Ryan assured him that he always walks like that. The paramedics bandaged him up and that is when he called me. I came to get him, when I got there we had to figure out how to get the bike home. I called his brother Dallin, and he came over and drove it home for us, luckily it still runs, but Ryan's estimate is about $1500 damage. Dallin said when they pulled up looked like someone on a TV show such as lost. His clothes were shredded, and he was all bandaged up all over, but his hair and face were perfect (thanks to the helmet).

After we got the bike home I made Ryan go to the Instacare, which was good because the paramedics didn't clean the gravel out of his wounds, plus he got some antibiotics and ibuprofen. He has not been able to go back to work yet, he is hoping to go back Wednesday or Thursday, it all depends on how fast his hand heals.

So back to the funeral, I decided to still go, but now instead of Margaret just watching the girls she also took care of Ryan which was nice. Mom and Jamie picked me up on Thursday at about 3:00 and we drove to St. George and picked up my Dad. We flew out of St. George into LAX. It was one of those little planes, very loud, but at least it was a nice short flight. Then we rented a car and drove to the hotel and had dinner. Then we ran into a bunch of family and hung out until kind of late. The next day we got up and went to the visitation at about 9:30 and then the funeral at 11:00. After the funeral was the luncheon. We left there at about 2:30 or so and went to the beach for a few minutes then it was time to go to the airport, it takes awhile to return the car and then get through security. We had dinner in the airport and then our plane left at 8:45 CA time and arrived in St. George at 11:07 (we had a good tailwind) Then we drive home, we got home not to long after midnight.

7 comments:

Kimberli said...

so scary... glad he's okay.

Mellissa said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Ryan's accident, although I had a good laugh thinking about the Sheriff who was freaked out when Ryan started walking. He so could have messed with him!

I'm sorry about your aunt. Steph mentioned that to me, and I think I actually remember meeting her.

I hope it stops "pouring" at your house. I have your book I need to return, and now that school is out I will bring it by. I'm so sorry I've had it for so long!

Cardine said...

Wow, what a hard week, Lori! I'm sorry about your aunt and about Ryan's accident! I hope he gets better... I hope you're doing alright, too.

Melissa said...

SCARY! I am glad that Ryan is okay, other than some road rash. Thankfully James has never had an accident on his bike! Keeping my fingers crossed though.

Hope things settle down for you guys and you can enjoy the summer.

trishanna said...

Im so glad hes okay! my husband rides a bike to and Im always scared somethings gonna happen!

julie said...

Boy, I'm glad Ryan is okay. It would have been funny to see the sheriff's face. Does Ryan wish now that he would have played with him a little, or is Ryan nicer than me and Missy? :)

I'm sorry about your aunt!

Lori Clark said...

Everyone, thanks for your concern. Ryan is doing okay now. He went back to work on Wedensday, even though his hand is still not completely healed.

Hopefully the settlement for the Doctor bills and bike repairs won't take too long.