Friday, July 18, 2008

Suicidal Fish

I promised Jael we could get a fish when we got home from Hawaii, so last week we bought two goldfish. Jael's is named Dorthy (like Elmo's fish) and Lindsey's is (was) named Simon. Yesterday morning when I got up I discovered that Simon was dead, so I flushed him, but Dorthy seemed to be doing fine. Then last night I was walking into the kitchen and saw something the floor (I'm glad Lindsey didn't find it first) it was Dorthy, just laying there. I grabbed a paper towel and scooped her up, I thought she was dead, but Ryan told be to put her back in the bowl and check, I did and she started swimming around again. Then I removed an inch or two of the water from the bowl to try and prevent another escape attempt (have you seen that PBS commercial). Ryan thinks the fish had a murder/suicide pact, I think Dorthy was just depressed. Anyway, I guess even boring pets can give you a little excitement sometimes. Oh, and Dorthy seems to be doing fine now.

2 comments:

julie said...

How odd! I'm glad Dorthy is doing fine now. I loved this line:

"...even boring pets can give you a little excitement sometimes."

Boring pets. That's how I feel about fish.

I hope Dorthy gives your daughters lots of joy!

Mellissa said...

Um, it's a good thing you don't have a cat. Otherwise the suicide attempt would have been successful!