I'm getting quite frustrated with Jael, and I'm not sure what I should do. Here is this week so far.
Sunday she spent all of primary (sharing time and class time) in the corner or hiding behind a chair. Tuesday at school I guess she wrote her name in the wrong spot on her art project (she is the only one that thought it was wrong) and spent the rest of the day hiding in the corner. Today at dance, it was the same thing, she spent the entire time in the corner and wouldn't participate, even in her favorite bean bag dance.
I've stopped taking her to Ryan's pack meetings because she runs off and hides, she does the same at our primary activities.
I feel like I'm wasting a lot of money each month between dance and school, they are activities I thought she would enjoy, and she use to, but lately she hasn't wanted to be there. I don't really want to pull her out of these activities because I won't be pulling her out of Kindergarten next year, I don't want her to expect me too. Anyway, I'm frustrated as are her teachers. When I ask her what is wrong, or why she wasn't dancing or whatever, all I get is "I don't know".
I'm hoping it is just a phase and she will get over it. If anyone can think of anything I should try let me know.
3 comments:
You're probably right that it's just a phase, but it could be possibly something else. When kids are first learning it's hard, and they get frustrated easily - especially when there are multiple tasks to master. Sure, you're not going to pull her out of kindergarten, but that's not the same, and she'll know it, too.
If it were me, I would try and find a way to get her to talk about it without her thinking that's what you're doing. I don't know if she has favorites between you and Ryan, but if she does the favorite might want to take her out for a special day or a treat all by herself. Sometimes they'll get all excited and start jabbering and once they start they can't stop. That makes it easier for her to explain why she is behaving this way.
Have you tried sitting down and having a serious conversation with her about it? Maybe you could cut her activities down to one and let her choose which one.
I know her teachers are frustrated, but they're being paid - and not just for having angel students. They have to put up with the good and the bad, and as long as Jael isn't interfering with someone else's learning or hurting someone else then the teachers just need to deal with it the best they can. Otherwise they shouldn't be teaching young children.
I hope it is just a phase and she'll find her comfort zone again. Good luck.
hey! Its sister langston from the mission aka trish anderson I dont have any advice id be completly stumped im sure if it was my kid but I just wanted to say Hi but I will ask my friend who is a child phychiatrist(I dont think I spelled that right) and she what she comes up with she always has great ideas when I have a problem. By the way your kids are super cute!
Missy - Thanks for for advice, I was able to get her talking a bit this morning, we talked about school and the things she liked about it. She was a lot better today, hopefully it will continue.
Trish - it is great to hear from you, it has been a long time!
Post a Comment